Thai Bagoong Rice
Our love of Thai food enables us to try some of the easier dishes with ingredients that are locally available.
We tried cooking Pad Thai and it was a hit with the family. It’s a great Thai dish to try since the ingredients are easy to find and it is also easy to cook. Much like one of our favorite Thai dishes, bagoong rice.
Home-made Thai bagoong rice may taste a little different because of the herbs and spices we used for our version of this recipe. If you can find authentic Thai bagoong and other spices, do use them when you cook your favorite dishes at home.
In the meantime, here’s our version of Thai bagoong rice.
3-4 cups cooked rice, grains separated
2 T oil
½ cup shrimp paste (alamang)
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
Chicken breast or pork, thinly sliced
Scallions or spring onions, chopped
1-2 red chillies, chopped
Coriander or Thai basil, optional
2-3 eggs, scrambled and sliced
2 green mangoes sliced thinly
(1) In a large wok or sautee pan, heat oil and sautee garlic and onions.
(2) Add shrimp paste, chillies and meat.
(3) Add a bit of water to cook the meat until done.
(4) Add rice and stir fry until heated through.
(5) Add ¾ of the spring onions and if using, coriander and/or basil.
(6) Stir fry for 2 more mins.
Serve with scrambled eggs and sliced green mangoes, top with remaining spring onions.